Interdum stultus opportuna loquitur...

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Smedley Butler in the News...Again

Note - from June 24th 2009, this blog has migrated from Blogger to a self-hosted version. Click here to go straight there.

I've mentioned before, the strange - to my way of thinking, preternatural - coincidences that often occur.

From time to time, I am "seized" by a topic, and material flows through my fingers to the keyboard as if from whole cloth; no editing, fewer-than-normal typos... you get the picture.

Now, I'm not claiming "divine inspiration" nor am I pinning my hopes on the Muses. As I've said before, I believe in a type of "consciousness bank", which is hard for me to explain properly without ten G&T's under the belt.

Anywaaaay...

I was seized the other day, and included a large screed about one of my fave treatises - Smedley Butler's "War is a Racket". I have read it several dozen times, and it forms the bedrock of my anti-government, anti-war views, along with

So what, I hear your moan.

Well, just yesterday, Russell Mokhiber raised the (long-dead) Smedley Butler in a White House briefing!!!

As I was reviewing the Rant last week (the one that pointed to Butler's 1933 treatise) I paused for a second and thought "Should I keep this in? It's a bit pointed."... but it stayed (sometimes I wonder why I bother reviewing my own stuff... I seldom pick up typos until well after I finish and post it).

People must familiarise themselves with this sort of material; you will all know quite well that I am no "leftie", but the party-political system that we currently endure is a vile excresence and must be done away with.