Interdum stultus opportuna loquitur...

Monday, December 27, 2004

USRant: Tomorrow's Another Day

Note - from June 24th 2009, this blog has migrated from Blogger to a self-hosted version. Click here to go straight there.

Call me a big wussie girl's blouse sissy, but today's USRant is proving a little bit too hard...
First, I need the SunJRE to do my daily data-grab (and to run the trading platform, and to do anything bloody USEFUL with a PC), and guess what I didn't install before I left on the trek to Adelaide? Go on... guess.
If you guessed "The SunJRE", well played. If you added "DreamWeaver, the RantMaker, the trading platform and everything else which might prove useful", you get extra credit.
Second, I am still steamed at the semi-female troglodyte at the SA border who confiscated my bananas. (Why is it that "true-believer" government functionaries are almost all female, and almost all built like a turnip?).
So the SA government is undertaking the same stupid "hold back the tide" idiocy as the Vic government has given up on... trying to prevent a flying insect from entering the state by taking people's fruit off them. God stab my vitals... why is this not a restraint on interstate commerce (which is a violation of the Constitution)? It will fail in the end... they can FLY, you morons...
Third, this internet connection (in our lovely serviced apartment in delightful North Adelaide) is pretty awful... it's taken three hours to download MOST of the SunJRE, and I still have to download other things!!
Fourth, the stories about the impotability of Adelaide's water are far too timidly-stated. The stuff tastes like agricultural irrigation runoff, and bioling it doesn't help. As a drinker of strong, sweet black coffee (three heaped tsp of Alta Rica and three heaped tsp of sugar in a good-sized mug), I can tell you that Adelaide's water supply can even make that delightful brew taste like, well, shit...
And lastly, I forgot my USB keyboard for this laptop... that's the final nail. Why notebook keyboards are laid out so shitfully, I don't know. I want my voice-recognition software, dammit.
Tomorrow I will have all my tools and we will be back on line properly...