Interdum stultus opportuna loquitur...

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

ParisRant: Urban Chez Rant in Paris...

Note - from June 24th 2009, this blog has migrated from Blogger to a self-hosted version. Click here to go straight there.

Well, I promised that I would provide some snaps of the new place (which is on Passage Jean Nicot, which runs off Rue Saint Dominique in the just-too-bloody-groovy-for-words 7th arondissement). My internet cafe of choice is still in the 16th though - which entails a bracing constitutional past the Tower and across the Seine.

Sadly I have not yet got a reliable way to get the photos off the memory card for my digital camera, so for the moment the only thing I can offer (apart from breathtakingly timely calls for short-term declines in the equity markets - toot toot!) is some satellite imagery.

If you look at the attached image, you will be able to make out Saddam's mobile weapons labs - they are represented by the red dot on the picture. These 'mobile laboratories of death' are a clear and present risk to the whole of humanity...

Oh, wait... the red dot is my place. The Irish pub is half a block away, and there are three little supermarkets, four bakeries (proper French boulangerie/patisserie) and God knows what else within a circle with a diameter of 100m. It's great.

As you can see, the place is located about where I said it was - a couple of hundred meters from Les Invalides, and a few hundred meters from the Tour Eiffel, as my parisian mates call he Eiffel Tower. Honestly - they've had it for a hundred years, so you would think they would get the name right. As it happens, they get a lot of stuff wrong - half the time they speak what sounds like utter gobbledegook. (The tower is the triangle-y shaped shadowy thing on the upper left of the picture... Les Invalides is at the bottom of the grassy area that starts at the top right).

Speaking of Les Invalides, if Napoleon hadn't been a short-ass, he would not have required a gold-covered dome on top of a huge building just to house his swarthy little woggo corpse. Short men are like short decision horizons (e.g., "I will take up smoking so that I will be liked by other insecure teen wannabes") - their aggregate effect on humanity has been negative.

Here's the image...

The red dot is my place...