Interdum stultus opportuna loquitur...

Saturday, August 18, 2007

NonRant: Our Daily Pain...

Note - from June 24th 2009, this blog has migrated from Blogger to a self-hosted version. Click here to go straight there.

OK... So I get all the updates to Ubuntu done and dusted, then I do a welter of security checks, then I activate Tor, then I re-do the checks... all the while forgetting that if I want to use the RantSheets (the Excel macro sheets that generate my lovely tables and he generated portion of the text) I have to use Excel, since OpenOffice Calc doesn't use the same scripting language as Excel).

I had been meaning to 'port' the RantSheet logic across to PHP - after all, the functionality is tailor-made for a cron-job... curl some data, do some calcs, sort and present the results...

But I had never got more than halfway through the porting process.

Still, it's not that big a deal - it just means that I have to be in Excel (in WinXP) for the 20 seconds it takes to do the RantSheet calcs... I'm going to experiment today to see if I can do that inside a VM under Ubuntu. If so, I can take my time with the conversion from Excel sheet/macros to PHP script.

The kickoff for the new season is still Monday, by the way. Tell anyone you know who you suspect of being a Rant reader...

Pain is French for bread...