Interdum stultus opportuna loquitur...

Thursday, November 15, 2007

NonRant: USRant Still on Hiatus... but...

Note - from June 24th 2009, this blog has migrated from Blogger to a self-hosted version. Click here to go straight there.

Sometimes I forget whether the TV I am watching is in French or English; last night I was watching a show on France3 - a panel show much like 'Geoffrey Robertson's Hypotheticals' - which in Australia would only be shown on SBS or the ABC, and only at 11 p.m. on a Thursday.

I'm not declaring myself bilingual - I am firmly committed to an Anglophone lifestyle, and I believe that English (as it evolves) will eventually be the lingua francafor planet Earth. (get it? Using Wog-talk to describe tthe widest-spread language in the world... Funny...)

Still, I was thinking back to the time before I left Straya. I used to watch the Frog news on SBS from time to time. I was thinking that if I had tried to watch last night's show before I came here, I would have been wasting my time.>

I was reminded of a discussion I had with Mark Maley back in the old InvestorWeb days - Mark had gone to Italy after leaving school. Spoke nary a word of dago, and just dropped himself in the middle of the place and waited to see what happened. Prior to hearing that story, I had always thought of Mark as a bit too 'Sydney' for my tastes... i.e., a bit of a self-important wanker. A terrible prejudice (not against Sydneysiders, who are wankers, but against Maley).

Anyow... Never Mind the Buzzcocks is on now on Pommy telly, so I'm going to leave this for a bit and come back and tell youse all a story...