Interdum stultus opportuna loquitur...

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

NonRant: Just. Too. Hard.

Note - from June 24th 2009, this blog has migrated from Blogger to a self-hosted version. Click here to go straight there.

You know how it is; knowing that your webserver is fratz, you grind away making a hand-crafted spreadsheet to do the calculations for the OzRant; as your eyes get tireder and tireder (that's more and more tired for those of us addicted to liguistic form) you start to forget to save the stupid spreadsheet from time to time.

Eventually the little memory leaks accumulate and when you're about 80% finished, the document goes to Document Heaven and you lose the will to live.

Well, perhaps not the will to live... but certainly I've lost the will to wrestle with data streams and other people's web pages (having to pinch data from various places is a bore when they write horribly-structured HTML or XML).

Plus, my bloody chair (which has castors on it) will not sit still on the wooden floors in my loft-like room - the old floor is not level, methinks, and I keep sliding away from the keyboard.

And although it pains me to do so, I've decided to change the hosting arrangement for the subscription site; first I've decided not to host it in the US anymore, because (1) I don't like the idea of the NSA being given everything I might decide to put there; and (2) in order to impose my own trade sanctions against the US. Also, the new outfit that I'm going to host it with, has furnished me with twice the web space (700Gb) and twice the bandwidth (7 terabytes a month) that my former hosts provided for the same price.

<

So it's Bye bye Dreamhost (who I think ought to recover just fine from yesterday's disaster).

What this means though is that the Rants might have a period in which the graphic bits - the bullets, the background and so on - disappear, because the images are hosted on the subscription site and that site will be offline while the DNS propagation for the new hostservers is put in place.

I will also take the opportunity of putting in place my sexy new layout, so that everyone can marvel at how brainy I am. It's all the fish I eat, you see... it's terribly good for the brain.

But for now it's time for sleepy-bo-bos, even though it's 2 p.m. - I was up until 4 a.m. this morning waiting for DreamHost to get the site fixed, then I caught a couple of hours sleep before trying to get up the will to write the OzRant (failed)... and I need some shut-eye now.