Interdum stultus opportuna loquitur...

Monday, July 14, 2008

NonRant: USRant to Re-start Soon-ish...

Note - from June 24th 2009, this blog has migrated from Blogger to a self-hosted version. Click here to go straight there.

Greetings, poignant friends (as Flacco would say).

Flacco (the alter-ego of a chap who I found out today is actually called Paul Livingstone) also said something I found really quite illuminating...

My father always liked to encourage me. He once said to me, he said "Son, the world is at your feet"... and I said to him, quick as you like I said "Father, show me a man at whose feet the world is not..."

Perhaps you had to be there, perhaps it was made funnier by the silly voice. It wasn't 'bust your sides' funny - it was 'I will never forget that' stuff (like Adam Ant's "Prince Charming" lyrics... "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of").

But I digress.

Quite a few of you, Dearest Reader, have sent e-mails asking why I haven't been doing the USRants since the OzRants re-emerged from inside the gates of Dis (being a Rant, it would find its natural repose in the Sixth Circle, with the Heretics, the Epicureans and Farinata degli Uberti and Cavalcante de' Cavalcanti).

There are two reasons for the delayed revivification of USRant - neither of them particularly good reasons. Reason the First: the PHP scripts that build the tables and so forth is in the midst of a revamp (it never worked as nicely as the script for OzRant), and I have not finished fixing the innovative new cockups that I introduced when I tried to fix it last week.

Reason the Second: typing with a French keyboard is hard enough at 8 a.m. (when I am writing OzRant) but at 10 p.m. with a good litre of Rosé down the gullet, it becomes intolerable for me as writer and for youse all as Dear Reader.

So this is by way of letting it be more widely known that USRant will be back reasonably soom (i.e., in days); if I can get to and from the market in Cunlhat (pronounced 'Kai-ya') before 2 p.m. on Wednesday, there is a good chance that Wednesday will have a complete USRant.

The trip to Cunlhat is non-negotiable - our weekly ritual trip to visit a chap in the town square who sells wild boar sausage and duck sausage (both are salami type 'saucisson' sausage, not the 'saucisse' that you fry in a pan). There's another fellow who sells home-made sheep and goats cheese t owhich I am moderately partial.

So - there's the development timetable: USRants resume Wednesday if I don't get waylaid at the Bar du Marché; Thursday otherwise.

Notice that the AdSense ads are still on the blog - some of them seem quite interesting.