Interdum stultus opportuna loquitur...

Thursday, December 11, 2008

NonRant: Unleashing the Inner Pedant...

Note - from June 24th 2009, this blog has migrated from Blogger to a self-hosted version. Click here to go straight there.

This morning in my babble about government sticking its tentacles into the orifices of the market and generally spreading a fetid stench all over the beautiful self-organisation of the market, I wrote the following:

Blah blah blah ...

Imagine trying to take an exam where there was a constraint: for example, if you were banned from answering any question if the question number was divisible by 3.

blah blah blah...

As I re-read that just now, I was seized with violent tremors which radiated from my basal ganglia through my amygdala and - uninterrupted by any sort of appropriate filter - spewed out as a torrent of foul language.

"Who the f!ck wrote this? A f!cking moron?" I fumed. "God damn it... Mav will have a f@cking field day with this...."

What is it, Beloved GT? I hear you muse.

Well, dear Reader - dear, sweet, gentle Reader - any number is divisible by three. Even imaginary numbers.

Sure, it's a pedantic thing about which to fulminate, but it's also the sort of sloppy garbage that ought to be eradicated. It's FAR worse than typos or bad proofreading, because it's an error of cogitation.

So let the record show that I wish the paragraph to read:

Blah blah blah ...

Imagine trying to take an exam where there was a constraint: for example, if you were banned from answering any question if the question number was an integer multiple of 3.

blah blah blah...

Ahhh. Soul cleansed. All better now. More tea, vicar?